Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Old age ain't no place for sissies

There is an old song called STONEY made famous by a guy named LOBO. When it was released it was a big hit with people of my generation! You know good old songs have a knack of bringing back happy memories of the past.

For instance I grew up in the country and I remember that my teenage years were wonderful and happy.

I bicycled all over in the country-side and chased the wind; caught “fighting spiders” and flew kites; went fishing even when I didn’t catch any and spend much of my leisure on my stamp collection and would you believe it, writing to pen-pals all over the world.

As I grew up and fell in love, memories like the time of our first date, our first kiss; the strolls we took in the park, the little crabs we dug up on the beach, and all the silly things we did, they all keep coming back. And you feel good as you recall your past.

How true is the saying (attributed to Nikita Ivanovich Panin), “In youth the days are short and the years are long; and now in old age the years are short and the days long?”

Victor Hugo was reputed to have said, “Forty is the old age of youth; fifty the youth of old age.” I wish it were so.

I would like to think that age is all in the mind. Someone did say that one is as old as one’s heart is and not on how one looks, didn't he?

Isn’t it true that no matter how old we are, we are always the same age inside?

However, I would like to think that old age is at least 15 years older than what I really am.

Nonetheless for most of us I think with age comes wisdom and wealth, well at least a good measure of each.

I hope by the time we have money to burn, our fire inside would not have burnt out.

As Mark Twain had put it a long time ago, “Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen.” What an ingenious thought! Think on it.

I will close with this quip, “A woman is as old as she looks, but a man is old when he stops looking.” Believe it or not is up to you.

Cheers!

Here’s the song STONEY from a music-video courtesy of “kingduplicate”. If you will, sing along with it in karaoke fashion. Hope you like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment