Monday, November 16, 2009

Hi Dolly

Dolly Parton, pic courtesy of snarkerati.com

I love Dolly Parton, dubbed America’s Queen of Country Music. Who hasn’t heard of her?

Did you know that she was born in Sevierville, Tennessee USA on 19 January 1946, the fourth of twelve children? That makes her my contemporary by age but unlike me an unknown, she is a world-class celebrity.

She remains one of the most-successful female artistes in America with twenty-five number-one singles and a record forty-one top-10 country albums.

She is also a hugely successful songwriter, having written more than 3,000 songs and has been inducted (in 2001) into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

She is known for her distinctive soprano, sometimes bawdy humor, flamboyant dress sense and voluptuous figure.

Indeed, her unique natural voice and style is beyond compare. An excellent artiste I must say.

Listen to this selection which I have chosen and you’ll see what I mean. The title of the song is entitled "Letter to Heaven".

No comments:

Post a Comment