Thursday, August 13, 2009

Epitaphs

I enjoy reading epitaphs.

Epitaphs are words written on the gravestone that try to tell something about the dead person.

But do they?

The dictionary defines epitaph as an inscription on a tombstone in memory of the one buried there; a brief literary piece commemorating a deceased person.

As a matter of fact, some epitaphs are quite interesting and thought provoking.

Take for example some of these famous lines (epitaphs) that I’ve found. I hope we can learn a thing or two from them. They speak from beyond the grave!

Elvis Presley (1935-1977)
“I hope I haven’t bored you”

Bing Crosby (1903-1977)
“That was a great game of golf, fellers”

Groucho Marx (1890 -1977) in his own words:
“Excuse me, I can’t stand up”

Dean Martin (1917 - 1995)
“Everybody loves somebody sometime”

Frank Sinatra (1915 – 1998)
“The best is yet to come”

Epitaph on an Unknown Grave:
“Here lies an atheist,
all dressed up
and nowhere to go”


Epitaph found on a gravestone in Chittanooga, Tennessee:
”Here lies Ned.
There is nothing more to be said -
Because we like to speak well of the dead.
I came into this world
Without my consent
And left in the same manner.”


This one is found in Charleston, South Carolina:
“Reader, I’ve left this world,
in which I had a world to do,
Sweating and fretting to get rich:
Just such a fool as you.”


Moore’s epitaph:
“Earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot heal.”

Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
“I am ready to meet my Maker.
Whether my Maker is prepared
for the great ordeal of meeting me
is another matter”


Thomas Stagg’s epitaph:
“That is all.”

One day I guess that I will also have to go; wonder what my epitaph will say?

My question is, “How would you like to be remembered for who you are or for what you have done?”

Think about it for our time will surely come.

Be happy...God loves you!

Thanks to "rbrandonvideo" for sharing this lovely piece of soothing music (an old Irish hymn) entitled, "Be Thou My Vision". Relax, listen and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment